Thursday, June 27, 2013

Starbucks uptown

People often ask me, why do I go to the Starbucks up town when parking is so much easier elsewhere? Well, I'll tell you. It's because you never know who you will end up seeing or talking to. There's the local "crazies" (yeah, I know, it isn't politically correct to say it, but what the hell?, Crazy is Crazy!). Then, we get the tourists that I enjoy talking to. Then, you meet someone like I met on Tuesday. Not local,  not totally tilting at windmills. I'll let the reader decide.
This young man, I'd say in his twenties, was wearing a backpack and what, at first glance I thought was a piece of rebar, and holding a Styrofoam box, when he asked me for money. I asked him instead, what was the story with the rebar. He said it was an antenna- like the kind a trucker uses for a CB radio. He uses it for street fighting demonstrations for martial arts. Okayyyy... Next, I asked what was the deal with the box. Well, he opened it up and shows me a BAT! Says he found this vampire bat and he needs to go to the library to find out what to feed it. Okayyyyy... Gets better. Then I asked where is he from. Stop me if you heard this one before... He is from Maryland. On probation from ....SAVANNAH.... Brought down from MD to GA in a white van in handcuffs... After going to court, was released to the wilds of Savannah with no money, no ride home... Ha Ha Ha! I gave him a buck and told him where to get a free meal from the mission. I'll tell you more of his story later...

No comments:

Post a Comment